Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Mexican Stack

I really love rice, and mexican food! When I go without rice for a while I really start to miss it, and that has been the case recently. Ive been pretty good about not incorporating too many carbs into dinner, so last night I wanted it bad! I didn't want to have to go to the store (Im not sure how I even let rice sit in the pantry for more than a week nowadays) and I also had leftover peppers and onion to use up, plus we had leftover jalapeno dip that I wanted to get rid of. I really didnt want to make anything that took too much work, as I was pretty tired and had an awful day at the gym. And that is how to mexican stack came along! It was so easy and it's pretty healthy. Since I only ate half, there wasn't too much rice and I was definitely filled up enough to take the rest for lunch. I am counting down the hours until 12.....4 to go!


Mexican Stack
Makes 2
2 Chicken Breasts, pounded thin
1 cup Rice, cooked (I used black beans and rice but brown would be healthier)
1 Bell Pepper, sliced
1/2 Sweet Onion, sliced
1/2 Jalapeno, minced
1 packet Taco Seasoning
1/4 cup Cheddar, fat free, shredded
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
Pinch S&P
(You can also use any additional toppings, guac, salsa, fat free sourcream, etc.)
Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees. Heat Oil in a skillet on high heat. Cook rice according to directions.
Use 3/4 packet of taco seasoning and rub onto both sides of chicken. Place in a baking dish and into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping at 10 minutes.
While the chicken cooks, combine the remaining taco seasoning, pepper, onion, jalapeno, fresh ground pepper and red pepper flakes into a bag and shake until the seasoning is evenly distributed. Place contents of bag into the skillet. Cover with lid and let cook for about 12 minutes, stirring every couple minutes.
When chicken is done, add a little bit of S&P. Put 1/2 cup rice on your serving plate, followed by the chicken. Sprinkle the cheese onto the chicken and then top with vegetables. You can also add condiments on top, as you like.
Nutritional Info Per serving (2 servings in recipe, although 1/2 serving was enough for me)
338 Calories
5g Fat
36g Protein
38g Carbs

No comments:

Post a Comment