Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Lemon Orzo Salad

By now you should know that Im one step ahead of the seasons. So, while my mind is flooding with thoughts of fall foods, I am staying grounded and preparing summer dishes that I'll be missing in 6 months time. I love a side that can be served cold; getting the prep and cookwork out of the way ahead of time is always a plus, and this orzo salad just screams summer time to me. Asparagus is one of my top veggies and our garden is stocked with cherry tomatoes, so this seemed to just fall into place.

I loved the light, lemony, taste and the veggies mixed with the startch. I am thinking pinterest again for bringing me this side dish. I halved mine and it made about 4 side servings. Make sure you squeeze this in before the season ends!

Lemon Orzo Salad (from Spark Recipes)
12 oz. orzo
1 bunch fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces

1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1 lemon, zested and juiced
4 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbs. fresh parsley, minced
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
Grated Parmigiano Reggiano

Bring 2 large pots of water to boil. Add a big pinch of salt in each.


To one pot, add asparagus and blanch, about 2 to 3 minutes, depending on the thickness of your asparagus.

Place blanched asparagus in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and keep them green.

To the second pot, add the orzo. Cook per package instructions. When tender, drain and place in a large bowl.

Add blanched asparagus and tomato halves.

Mix olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stir into orzo and vegetables. Stir in parsley and grated Parmigiano Reggiano.


This can be served warm, room temperature or cold.




No comments:

Post a Comment