Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Crockpot Salsa Chicken


I joke that for my freezer meals post baby I baked up tons of chocolate chip cookies and froze them. While this is actually true, I do have a good amount of chicken breasts, bone in chicken, steak and ground beef stocked in the freezer for easy grilling as well.

When I was thinking up what I wanted to eat on Cinco de Mayo, nachos was on the top of my list. And that made me think of Ale House nachos, which are layered with chicken. I remember when Salsa Chicken in the crock was all the rage, so I took to my google reader and searched for the recipe. I ended up going with a modified version (if you go to the original site, you will see a cooking time of 6-8 hours. Luckily I checked mine at 4 hours because it was done and would have been way overcooked any longer - just something to note).

I love how easy it was (hello, crockpots are the best, why don't I use it more?!) and that I now have this chicken in the freezer to go with my other meats. It would go great in tacos, enchiladas, burritos, quesadillas and even on tostones. *note- photo was taken after the chicken was shredded but before going back into the sauce. I froze the remaining sauce and chicken in a big gallon ziplock.*

Crockpot Salsa Chicken (from Stephanie Cooks)
4 large chicken breasts
8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 cup salsa
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 tsp cumin


Combine all of the ingredients and cook on low for 4-5 hours. Shred with two forks once done and place back into the sauce to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment