Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Strength Training

I have been eating a lot more fruit since I gave up candy for lent - here is todays breakfast and snacks
(I know the bar isn't the best, but it's what I've got today)
Lunch was a spring mix with strawberries, feta and balsamic dressing, carrots and pb and half of a wheat pita with a string cheese melted inside.
Last May/June is when I began attending the gym on a regular basis. I jumped back into cardio and started to actually work on my strength. You know that I absolutely hate weights, so doing them on my own is completely out of the question for enjoyability and long term staying power. I've talked about how I started attending a new class at the gym, The Next Level, that I actually like and have really gotten great results from.
I went from going to class twice a week, down to once a week and then around the holidays I think I only managed to make it one time in December. When January rolled around, I began going twice a week, every week. Having two of my sisters begin to go with me has kept it going and I really credit it, combined with daily cardio, to my recent weight loss. Building up the muscles and then burning the fat with cardio is what I feel has happened.

In the class, there are 4 stations set up, with 2-3 workouts per station. you do each workout between 2 and 4 times, and go around the room between 1 and 3 times, all depending on the exercises for that day. It takes between 30 and 45 minutes, and always has me sweating up a storm. The exercises include TRX Suspension, Kettle Bells and then many variations on pushups, squats, weighted lunges, planks, mountain climbers, etc. It is a strenuous class that I am really going to miss when I move! I think that I am going to start jotting down moves so that I can continue to partake even when I am away.

I would really suggest looking into this type of class at a gym near you, if you hate weights like me which I know some of you do! The time flies, and since you are constantly changing up your moves you are done in no time and have still hit all of your muscles. If you hate weights, what is your solution to getting some toning into your routine? Can you suggest anything for at home, for after I move and don't have this lovely class to attend?

I also want to say Happy Birthday to my mom! I hope that the weather holds up, as we are supposed to go to a food truck thing tonight for dinner. You know all of those korean bbq, taco, etc food trucks by you? They are all coming to one location for everyone to taste and it sounds really yummy! Have a Happy Tuesday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment