Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Lobster Mashed Potatoes

Potatoes definitely top my list of favorite foods. I have always loved them mashed, but I also love them roasted, fried, baked and scalloped. Publix had lobster and red potatoes on sale, and I wanted to cook a nice dinner for our day off, so my mind went immediately to the thought of lobster mashed potatoes. I love mashed potatoes because they are so easy to create; just eyeball your ingredients and add what you want. Butter, sour cream, milk, yogurt - whatever. So simple! I am also going to try to make smaller portions of foods, so that we don't have a million leftovers to eat of unhealthy things, and it is easy to do with this kind of recipe. This serves 2-4 as a side dish, using the portions below.

Lobster Mashed Potatoes
4 Medium Red Potatoes
5 oz Lobster Tail
3-4 oz Gouda Cheese
3 Green Onions, chopped
2 tbsp Butter
1/4 cup Heavy Cream
1/4 cup Skim Milk
Pinch Cayenne Pepper
S&P

In a large pot, bring water to a boil. While the water is heating, wash and quarter your potatoes. Once water is at a boil, add the potatoes and cook until tender, about 30 minutes.

When the potatoes are still a little firm, add butter to a saucepan on medium/low heat. Cut lobster meat into small, but still chunky, pieces and add to melted butter. Saute until cooked through and no longer translucent.

Add cream and milk to a small sauce pan and place on medium heat, stirring until warmed.

Strain potatoes and place in a bowl. Mash (use a whisk if you don't have a potato masher) and add lobster and butter mixture. Stir in cheese until melted, then slowly stir in milk mix. I only used half of the liquid to reach the consistency that I like. Add green onion, cayenne and s&p, the mix until combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment