Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Mini Baked Vanilla Donuts with Vanilla Icing


I'm not sure that I have ever met someone who doesn't enjoy a donut. I could eat them everyday, as they are the perfect combination of moist dough and sweet icing. I always opt for the chocolate glazed with sprinkles, myself, but it is a rare occurrence that I buy one. I stumbled upon this baked mini donut recipe and was immediately intrigued. Baked donuts are always described as 'cake' donuts, but these do not taste like the cake donuts you buy at the donut shop. They are more moist and really tasty! I had to stop myself at gobbling them all up and limited myself to 2. I definitely recommend trying these. I bought the mini donut pan, which makes just the perfect size. These would be great for a kids party, when you have family staying over for the holidays, or when you need an interesting treat to bring along to an event. (Note that I got the donut and icing recipe from different sources.)

Mini Baked Vanilla Donuts (from The Life and Love of Grumpy's Honeybunch)
Makes slightly under 1 dozen minis
1-3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tbsp. lemon juice
Skim Milk ( you need enough to make 1/2 cup after placing the lemon juice in measuring cup - or use 1/2 cup buttermilk)
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Heat oven to 325 degrees.  Coat donut pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt together.  In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, sugar, egg, melted butter and vanilla extract until smooth.

Add milk mixture to flour mixture and whisk until smooth.

Place batter in a piping bag (or you can use a sandwich bag with the tip cut).  Pipe batter into donut indents (about 2/3 full) and smooth tops. 
 
Bake at 325 for 10 minutes or until donuts spring back when lightly pressed. 

Cool in pan on rack, then turn out onto rack to cool. 

Vanilla Donut Glaze (from Sprinkle Bakes)
1 cup confectioner’ s sugar
1 tbsp. milk
½ tsp. vanilla extract
4 drops of liquid blue food coloring (you can use liquid or the wilton gel colors)
Choice of Sprinkles

In small bowl, stir together sugar, milk and vanilla extract until sugar is completely dissolved. Add food coloring and stir until color is uniform.  Use immediately to glaze doughnuts.  Dunk the top of the iced donut into a bowl of sprinkles (make sure the icing does not touch the bowl, just the sprinkles)

No comments:

Post a Comment