Pages

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Hot Chocolate on a Stick


 Last year Hot Chocolate on a Stick was all the rage on a lot of the blogs. I had a difficult time with my first batch, so I retried them tonight and realized my issues came from not reading directions thoroughly. I used a few blogs to create these, including The Novice Chef, Sprinkle Bakes and Giver's Log. Turns out that the first time I used granulated sugar instead of confectioners, although it still melted decently when I stirred it into my hot mug of milk. I used Ghiradelli Luxe Milk Chocolate and also Lindtt 70% Cocoa chocolate bars, and both worked well for me in the melting process.

If you chose to add the decorations, melt white candy wafers (I prefer Wilton Wafers). Freeze your chocolate in the molds and only take out of the freezer when your white chocolate is melted. Pop the hot chocolate out one at a time and quickly dip into the white melted wafers. Place on your chocolate transfer sheet and let it sit until dry, then peel off and your design will be on the bottom.

Hot Chocolate On A Stick
8 oz. chocolate - high quality
1/4 cup cocoa, sifted
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted
pinch of salt
Wooden Sticks
Ice Cube Tray or Brownie Mold

Prepare your double boiler by simmering a couple inches of water in a pan, then turn down the heat so the water is below a simmer.Place glass or stainless steel bowl over the top to make a double boiler. 
Dump chocolate into the clean, dry bowl and stir as the chocolate melts. Take the chocolate off of the heat when only a few solid pieces remain. Stir until completely melted.

A little at a time, add cocoa, sugar, and salt and continue to stir until combined. The chocolate will be thicker, almost as thick as frosting, but still glossy and smooth.

Place the chocolate into your mold. I used a tablespoon and then tapped the mold on the counter to make sure the chocolate was even on top. Add a stir stick and place in the freezer.

If you want to decorate, see the instructions above. You can always add sprinkles or crushed candy cane instead of using the transfer sheets.

To drink, simply heat up 6oz of milk (this is a time to splurge for 2% instead of skim) and stir in your chocolate. These make great gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment