Pages

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Chocolate Caramel Apples


I cannot remember the last time I made a covered apple. I am not a fan of candy apples, but give me a caramel, better yet a chocolate caramel, apple and I'm all set! I think the past 2 years I have had a store bought one, but this year I wanted to attempt to make my own. They aren't hard, but the only thing was the caramel melted a bit into the chocolate. I only made 4 so it wasn't bad, but if I had attempted to dip more I may have had a problem. They look yummy and I can't wait to slice one up!

Caramel Chocolate Apples
makes 4-5
4-5 Granny Smith apples, Medium
1 14oz bag of Caramels, unwrapped
1 pot Boiling Water
1.5 tbsp Water
1/2 bag Chocolate Melts
4-5 Popsicle Sticks or Craft Sticks
Parchment Paper
Cooking Spray
candy/toppings for the outside
Place the apples in the pot of boiling water for a few seconds, then lift out with a slatted spoon and dry with a paper towel. This will take all of the wax off.
Let the apples cool and stick the popsicle/craft stick through the middle. Place the unwrapped caramels in a bowl with 1.5 tbsp water. Heat for 2 minutes, stir and heat for 30 seconds more.

Hold the apples by the stick and dip into caramel, rotating to get an even coating. Place on wax/parchment paper that is sprayed with cooking spray.

Place in refridgerator for about 10 minutes, until the caramel has hardened.

Using the double boiling method, heat a pot filled partially with water, on medium. Put a smaller pot inside of it and place your chocolate melts inside. Stir until the chocolate has melted, then dip your apples in, as far as you want the chocolate to go up. If you want to add candy/decorations on the outside, put them in a biwl and sip the bottom of your apple in.

Set on sprayed parchment paper to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment