Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Baked Chicken w/ Apple Onion Saute and Melted Cheddar

Since the season turned to fall I have been thinking about making a chicken dish with apple and cheddar. I've actually steered clear of reading up on any other recipes that involve these ingredients because I really wanted to make my own. It's pretty hard to believe that it's fall since Florida is so hot, but this dish really made me feel like it. The apples gave it just a little sweetness and the chicken's seasonings paired really well. I eagerly waited to hear the verdict on it becuase I just cannot wait to make it again! I definitely think it's one of the best things I've made thus far. I used fat free cheddar and besdies that, the olive oil that I used to saute was the only other fattening thing. So it was actually a pretty healthy meal and I served it with lots of roasted/steamed veggies.

Baked Chicken with Apple-Onion Saute and Melted Cheddar
makes 2
2 Chicken Breasts, pounded thin
1 Gala Apple, peeled and sliced
1/2 Sweet Onion, sliced
2 1/2 Slices Cheddar Cheese
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Splenda
1/2 tsp Brown Sugar
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
Chicken Seasoning:
1 tsp Ground Mustard
1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp Brown Sugar
1/4 tsp Thyme
1/8 tsp Oregano
1/8 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put the olive oil in a skillet over high heat.

Lay out pounded chicken. Mix together the seasoning ingredients and then rub onto both sides of chicken. Place in a baking dish and place in the oven. Addthe onion and apple to the skillet. Also add cinnamon, splenda and brown sugar. Cover with a lid and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring every couple minutes.

At 12 minutes, flip the chicken. Mine was done right before 20 minutes, but it will depend on the thickness of the chicken.


Top the chicken breasts with the saute mix and then place Cheddar slices on top. Return to the oven for about 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted and warm. Plate and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment