Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Potstickers

The other day when I was looking for chinese/asian recipes, I found these potstickers by The Way The Cookie Crumbles. I had to give them a try. Since I had some leftover wonton wrappers in the freezer, I pulled them out to thaw and actually had all of the ingredients that I needed. This recipe is simple and REALLY good. Mine didn't turn out as pretty, but they were delicious and that's what really matters!

Potstickers (adapted from The Way The Cookie Crumbles)
For Filling:
3 cups minced napa cabbage leaves (I bought the prepackaged cabbage and just minced a bit more, using the entire bag)
¾ teaspoon table salt
6 minced scallions
4 teaspoons soy sauce
1½ teaspoons minced or grated ginger
1 medium garlic clove minced (1 teaspoon)
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper (I just cracked pepper over mixture at the end to what I thought it needed)
Wrappers (I used just wonton wrappers, the large ones, and I trimmed down to size once filled)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used Olive Oil)
1 cup water
Toss cabbage with the salt in colander set over a bowl and let stand until cabbage begins to wilt. I left it out while I headed to the gym for about 45 minutes. Press the cabbage gently with rubber spatula to squeeze out any excess moisture, the transfer to a medium bowl. Add the remaining filling ingredients and mix thoroughly to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until mixture is cold, at least 30 minutes.
Since I used the big wrappers, I got about 8 potstickers with this mix. I put the wrappers in a diamond shape and added 1 1/2 tablespoon of the mix, then wet the outline with some water and folded over to seal close. I cut off the excess wrapper with a knife.

Brush 1 tablespoon of the oil over the bottom of a nonstick skillet and arrange the dumplings in the skillet, with a flat side facing down. Place the skillet over medium-high heat and cook the potstickers, without moving, until golden brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes.

Reduce the heat to low, add ½ cup of the water, and cover immediately. Continue to cook, covered, until most of the water is absorbed and the wrappers are slightly translucent, about 10 minutes.
Uncover the skillet, increase the heat to medium-high, and continue to cook, without stirring, until the dumpling bottoms are well browned and crisp, 4 minutes more.
Plate and serve with Scallion Dipping Sauce.

Scallion Dipping Sauce (adapted from The Way The Cookie Crumbles)
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar)
2 tablespoons mirin (I substituted with 1.5 tbsp rice wine vinegar mixed with 1/4 tsp sugar)
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon chili oil (I used chili powder)
½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil (I omitted)
1 medium scallion , white and green parts, minced
Combine all ingredients in bowl and serve.
There are lots of tips on wrapper sizes and cooking times on the original website.

No comments:

Post a Comment