Pages

Saturday, October 3, 2009

2009 Pumpkin Shortage

Whenever I think of fall I immediately think pumpkin. Pumpkin Spice Latte, Pumpkin Bread, Pumpkin Muffins, etc. Just a little over a month ago my mom had a can of pumpkin. I had read about a shortage but figured that it hadn't hit Orlando. So when the end of September came and I wanted to start whipping up some treats, I hit the grocery store for some canned pumpkin puree. I was shocked when they told me that there was none and they had no idea when they would be getting it in. The shortage had hit us! No store around has it in stock. That wasn't going to keep me from making delicious fall treats. My mom and I bought some baking pumpkins and I set off to make my own puree. It's really easy nice to have it homemade, I think it adds more of a touch to your food when you know you made as much as you could.

Pumpkin Puree

2 baking pumpkins made about 3 cups for me
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cut the top off of the pumpkins and toss. Cut in half, and then in half again. This makes it easiest to gut the insides out, just scrape with spoon, ice cream scoop or whatever you usually use to gut your pumpkins for carving.

Place the pumpkins on a baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes, until tender.

I found it easiest to scoop the pumpkin from the shell when it was hot and fresh out of the oven. Get as much out as you can. Then transfer, in portions, to a blender or food processor. I added about 4 tbsp water to each batch I put in the blender.

Put the extra in an airtight container, and store in the fridge if you aren't using immediately.



Pumpkin Seeds

I also saved the seeds roast in the oven. I heated the toaster oven to 400 degrees and roasted for 20 minutes and seasoned with salt, pepper, and pumpkin pie spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment