Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pumpkin Pound Cake



I know that people often associate pumpkin with fall. There is this general idea that you wait until October to bake with it and stop in December. I for one am taking a stand against this, because pumpkin things are so delicious that we should be able to enjoy them year round!

I have been craving things like banana bread, pumpkin bread, carrot cake, etc. and so I decided to bake this pumpkin pound cake that I had pinned a while back. Since it's spring time there is no problem finding pumpkin puree on the shelf at your local grocery store, which is always half the battle for me come autumn.

I have devoured way too much of this already and will be happy to package it up for someone else to eat tomorrow. I enjoyed the addition of the vanilla pudding mix - I do think it added something new and helped keep the center moist and flavorful. If I would have been serving this for guests instead of slicing and freezing, I would have added the powdered sugar because that just tops it all off. I do recommend using a bundt pan (I need to go buy one!) if you can.


Pumpkin Pound Cake (via pinterest from Sing for your Supper)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup canola oil
3 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 package instant vanilla pudding mix
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting

In a large bowl, combine sugar and oil until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cloves and pudding mix; add to egg mixture alternately with pumpkin, beating well after each addition.
 
Transfer to a greased bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 60-65 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack. Remove from pan and cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Serves 12-16

*Somehow I don't own a bundt pan and didn't even realize, so I made mine in a wilton pumpkin mold - you could also use a loaf pan. Just up the baking time (mine needed about 15 more minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment