Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Weeknight Orange Chicken




I have a very strong love for chinese food. I could probably eat it everyday, although I will attempt that! My favorite dish to get has been orange chicken for as long as I can remember. I love the wonton soup, egg/spring rolls, rangoon, fried rice and everything else but my main chinese squeeze is the orange sauce. When Adam and I were going through costco and I saw that Panda Express bottled their sauce, I became intrigued and really wanted to try it. It is such a good solution to a weeknight meal when you just dont have time.

Verdict: yummy! I added a decent amount of red pepper to give it some kick and cut some of the sweetness which just enhanced the flavor. I wouldn't go crazy and soak your meal in this, so be careful the amount that you put in your pan.

Weeknight Orange Chicken
2 Chicken breasts, pounded thin and cubed
1 head Broccoli, cut into florets
1 large Carrots, cut in half and slivered
Red Pepper Flakes
1/4c to 1/2c, plus more for marinade, Panda Express Bottled Orange Sauce
1/4c flour
1.5 tbsp Olive Oil

Place chicken in a plastic bag and add enough sauce to coat all of the pieces. Place in the fridge to marinate for at least 2 hours.
Place broccoli and carrots in large small skillet, lightly coated with cooking spray. Cook on low for 8 minutes, or until tender. Remove from pan.

Take chicken out of marinade. Place flour in a ziploc bag and add chicken. Shake until all pieces are coated with flour.

Add Olive Oil to skillet on medium/high heat. Place chicken in the pan and cook until browned on both sides, about 7 minutes or until almost completely cooked through. Remove from pan.

Wipe the skillet clean and add the orange sauce. Cook on medium heat until it begins to bubble. Add vegetable and chicken and stir until everything is coated. Add red pepper flakes to taste. Turn to medium/high heat and cook until chicken is completely done. Serve over brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment