Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

Bacon-Cheddar Grits

I have never been much into grits, because I really didn't grow up on them. I would have never tried them if Adam wasn't such a fan, either. Everytime we go out to breakfast he orders a side of them, and I was convinced that I did not like them at first. They did look sort of like a thicker cream of wheat though, which I did eat a lot as a kid. Eventually I tried a spoonful from his bowl and decided that I may like this! Especially with cheese.....mmmmm. So, when a recipe for Bacon and Cheese Grits popped up on Google Reader, I decided to bookmark it and save it for the perfect time. They are from the Pineapple Grass blog, which is a blogger I deeply relate with, food-wise. Some blogs I follow just for pretty pictures, but this blog actually offers me dishes that I want to make, and they always come out great.

5 months after bookmarking, I decided to make these grits for Adam's birthday weekend. They have bacon, cheddar and jalapenos so I really didn't think that much could go wrong with them, and I was right. Pineapple Grass hit a home run again! It was like a complete breakfast, rolled into one single bowl. I served it as a side with bagels and eggs, but it could definitely be a complete breakfast itself. This made a lot, so if you're making it for 2 you will definitely have leftovers, which is a really good thing because they were even better the next day, once the flavors were able to meld together and sit for a while.

Bacon-Cheddar Grits (from Pineapple Grass)
4 slices bacon, finely chopped (you could definitely up this to 6 slices)
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
4-1/2 c. water
1 c. quick-cooking grits
salt and pepper
1-1/2 c. grated sharp cheddar cheese (or a cheddar blend)

In a medium saucepan, cook bacon and jalapeno over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until bacon is browned, about 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon and jalapeno to a small bowl. Remove pan from heat and carefully add 4-1/2 c. water.

Bring liquid to a boil over high heat and whisk in grits. Whisk until mixture begins to thicken, then reduce heat to low and gently simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, 25 minutes or until creamy. Season with coarse salt and ground pepper.

Whisk in 1 c. grated sharp cheddar cheese and 3/4 of the bacon mixture. Pour into a 2-quart serving dish and top with 1/2 c. cheddar and remaining bacon mixture

No comments:

Post a Comment