Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Pumpkin Bagels

I have always had the idea in my head that bagels are for more advanced bakers. I didn't even have the thought of attempting to bake them, until I saw this recipe on Pink Parsley it took less than 2 days and seemed incredibly easy. I was pretty positive that they would not come out even decent, but I decided that I wanted to try my hand at them anyway. To my surprise they were amazing! They are the consistency of every bagel I have ever bought and have a great pumpkin flavor that isn't too strong for non-pumpkin lovers. It's the time of year that I assume Adam hates as I always make pumpkin things and he hates pumpkin, but he even ate these. I suggest trying them today, you will not regret it! I threw a few in the freezer and cannot wait to enjoy them on the weekends.

Pumpkin Bagels (from Pink Parsley) these make 8
1/2 cup  (100-110 degrees)
3 1/4 tsp instant yeast
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp allspice
3 cups bread flour

To Cook:
3 quarts water
2 Tbs sugar
1egg, for egg wash

Combine all the ingredients for the dough, through allspice, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.  Mix to combine, then add the flour.  Mix on low speed to just combine, and switch to the dough hook.  Knead on medium speed for 12-15 minutes, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times.  Turn into a lightly-oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to rise for about an hour. 

Punch down the dough.  Divide into 8 equal parts, and roll into balls.  Use your thumb to form a hole in the center, then stretch smooth the dough to form an even shape.  Place on a baking sheet and continue with the remaining dough.  Cover the baking sheet with a clean kitchen towel, and allow to rise until puffed, about 45 minutes.

In a large saucepan, bring the water and 1 Tablespoon of sugar to boil.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal.  Whisk together 1 egg plus 1 teaspoon of water or milk in a small bowl.

Working a few bagels at a time, boil the bagels 1-2 minutes per side.  Remove from the water and place on a rack to dry for about 1 minute, and repeat with remaining bagels.

Transfer the bagels to the prepared baking sheet, then brush with egg wash. 

Bake 15 minutes, or until bagels are golden-brown

No comments:

Post a Comment