Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Macaroni and 3 Cheese

I finally got back to doing some actual cooking on Friday night. Since I've been doing so well on my diet I thought I would try some mac n cheese. This is the recipe my sister and mom use, and it makes a lot, I was able to freeze 8 individual portions and had 4 leftover to eat. It will definitely make an easy side, and since Adam will be gone during the week for the next month or so, it will come in handy when I dont want to cook up something just for myself. This is a very easy recipe and doesnt take too long. Also, you can easily prep it the night before and bake the next day. This is more chunky than it is creamy, which I like and think it gives it a really good texture. This is the best macaroni and cheese ever so I suggest that you try it! I am unsure of where it originally came from.

Macaroni and 3 Cheese
(original source unknown)
4 tbsp unsalted Butter
2 3/4 cup Milk (i used skim and it came out great)
1/4 cup Flour
1tbsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional, but it adds a very good flavor)
1 tsp Salt
2 1/4 cup Cheddar and Colby Mix, shredded (plus extra for topping at the end)
1 cup Gouda, shredded
1/2 pound macaroni

Cook macaroni according to package, removing from heat 2-3 minutes early. Drain place in a casserole dish, set aside.

Preheat oven to 375 Degrees.

In medium saucepan, heat milk on medium heat. Melt the butter in a a high sided skillet, until bubbling. Add flour and whisk for about a minute, until all is blended.

Gradually add in the hot milk, whisking while adding until it is all combined. Whisk for a minute more until it bubbles.

Remove from heat and add in salt and red pepper. Gradually add in the cheeses, whisking constantly. Pour the cheese mix onto the macaroni and stir to combine. Sprinkle extra cheese on top evenly. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Let set for about 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment