Pages

Monday, October 26, 2009

Sweet and Spicy Shrimp and Veggie Stir Fry

In the search for a great shrimp recipe I came across a lot of asian/stirfry ideas. I really enjoy spicy foods and love things that resemble a better version of chinese take out. I was inspired by a recipe I found on allrecipes and tailored it to what I had on hand to cook with, so I didnt have to go to the store. I went off of some great suggestions from previous people who cooked it and added some things of my own. There's only 161 calories per serving and I went ahead and served with brown rice. It was very spicy so I would suggest limiting the amount of chili powder you add if you like your food a little more tame. It was a good dish and I liked that it was easy to make, perfect for a weeknight! Also, I didn't have hoison sauce and was set on not going to the store, so I made my own and the recipe follows.
Sweet and Spicy Shrimp and Veggie Stir Fry (inspired by allrecipes.com)
1 lb Shrimp, peeled
2/3 Red Onion, chopped
2/3 cup Carrots, sliced
1/2 cup Peas, cooked
3/4 cup Broccoli florrets
5 Green Onions, sliced
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tbsp Olive Oil
4 tbsp Garlic, minced
2 tbsp Hoison Sauce (recipe follows)
1 tbsp Chili Powder
2 tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1 tsp Ground Ginger
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 cup White Wine Vinegar
Shrimp Marinade
2tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Garlic
1 tsp Splenda
Pinch Ginger
Directions
Steam broccoli and carrots, until tender but not fully coooked. In the meantime, toss shrimp lightly in cornstarch. Put in a plastic bag and add 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp garlic, 1 tsp splenda and a pinch of ginger. Set in fridge to marinate until veggies are steamed.
Place a skillet over medium/high heat and add the oil. Toss in shrimp, green onion, red onion and garlic. Cook until shrimp is no longer translucent.
Add the hoison sauce, chili powder and soy sauce to the shrimp mix. Stir and then add ginger, red pepper, black pepper and white wine vinegar. Simmer for a minute or 2. Add in broccoli, carrots and peas and toss to coat. Serve with rice.
Hoison Sauce
4 tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Peanut Butter
1 tbsp Honey
2 tsp White Wine Vinegar
1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Olive Oil
1/8 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
Few drops of hot sauce
Combine in a bowl and mix until peanut butter is evenly distributed. This made about 2x what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment