Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sour Cream Rice

Rice is, by far, one of my top favorite side items. I like it with some butter and s&p too! Adam does not have that sort of love for the brown little grains, so I was a bit skeptical about making this recipe. Since I really do try to stay away from it when I cook for both of us, I figured it wouldn't kill him to have it this one time. Plus, it has corn and sour cream so you really can't go wrong, right? Absolutely! I was so happy that we both enjoyed this recipe. I made it with the white chicken enchiladas, but I suggest making it with something non-cream based, as it was very rich together. You won't be sorry if you try this.

Sour Cream Rice (adapted from A taste of Home Cooking, originally from ...and a cookie for dessert)
1 cup uncooked minute brown rice
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup sour cream (I used fat free)
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese, divided
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese, divided
1 can Corn kernels
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
salt and ground black pepper to taste

In a large pot, bring the rice and chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook according to package.

 Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.

In the pot with the cooked rice, mix the sour cream, green chile peppers, 1 cup pepper/monterey Jack cheese, corn, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, and top with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment